Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pre-school

We were a little torn over whether or not to start Lucy in pre-school this year. Three seems a little young to me for school, but at the same time, I have been awful about sticking to play groups and I think Lucy would really benefit from hanging out with more kids. In the end, we decided it was worth it for the extra social interaction she would get. We were able to get her in at a local pre-school for 2 days a week, 3 hours a day.

So all of that just to say that today is her first day at school, all by herself. Wow. I was unprepared for the sheer numbers of tugs at my heartstrings as I dropped her off. She sat down with the other kids in front of the school and she had on her worried look: eyebrows furrowed, arms crossed. I am all kinds of nervous for her, but I tried to play it cool so I wouldn't make things worse by making a big deal out of leaving her. We've been talking about school all week; talking about what she's going to do and what her teacher will do. I didn't think at all about what I was going to do. Turns out it was come home and worry and sweat about Lucy for three hours.

Here's Lucy on Monday at the pre-school open house. This was actually her first day, but parents came too, so I don't know if it really counts except as a photo op. Today is really THE DAY.

 

 

Update: I picked her up and it sounds like she had a good day. She told me she painted a picture of a horse. Other than that, there were not many details to be had. She was still wearing the pants I brought her in, so no potty accidents. I count that as a successful first day!

3 comments:

Missletoe said...

Wow! Such a big girl! This post is pulling at my heart strings too!

Val said...

It is truly funny to hear other Mom's tales of sending the first one off to her first day of school. It's just the beginning. It's amazing how often you will feel that way as she begins all the new adventures in life. And I am afraid to say... it's the same each time. It never gets any easier. I figured with the 3rd I'd be over it but no. So hang in there this is truly where all the fun begins.

Cal said...

she is such a little mini Julie! what I have come to realize is that it is okay to cry. let it out girl!