The party actually ended up being fun. You might detect a hint of surprise in that statement, if not a little downright sarcasm. Some days it seems like the world is really out to get you. I shall explain.
After a week of planning and preparing and cleaning, it came down to about an hour and a half before people were to come over for Penny's party. Our house was immaculate. Truly, I don't think it has been that clean since we moved in. Suddenly we started to notice a funny smell in our house. Funny smell (Think really wet wood. Think that, because it could have been a lot worse.) was followed by funny water on the laundry room floor. Myke did some investigating and found that our main drain pipe from our house was completely clogged. Nothing going out and I mean nothing!
My Mom is really and truly 6 different kinds of saint. She didn't even hesitate to offer to move things down to her house. Even though I'd spent most of the day destroying her kitchen decorating cupcakes the day before. The theory was that my kitchen was going to have a lot of people in it the next day and so we should make the mess at her house. Nice theory. To add insult to injury, my Mom had just finished unloading the cupcakes from her car, along with all of her presents, and what felt like the kitchen sink.
Anyway, long story short, (too late?) we had a frantic last minute change of venue and Myke ended up completely missing Penny's first birthday party. He had to stay home and make friends with the Roto Rooterman. The first thing that the Rooterman asked when he got inside our house and saw we had young kids was, "You don't flush baby wipes down your toilet, do you?" "Of course not!" scoffed Myke. Oops. Only two hours later, what did our fine friend the Rooter pull out of our exhaust pipe but 2-3 extremely dirty, yet fully intact baby wipes. Turns out since potty training Lucy and using cloth diapers with Penny, I had gotten in the habit of secretly flushing the occasional wipe or two or three. I did not know that they do not flush. I have since learned.
In addition to the clogged drainpipe, Rooterman helped us figure out another little mystery that has been bothering us for about a week. Mysterious water at the end of our driveway = broken water main. Yuck. When it rains it pours.
So. Myke missed the party, but at least the party still happened and really, despite all the stress and craziness, it was a lot of fun. Penny enjoyed playing in her cake and opening presents and the rest of us enjoyed feeding our faces and being able to flush a toilet. What's not to love?
2 comments:
she is a cutie! Glad that the party was still a hit amongst all the yucky things happenings. I didn't know that you couldn't flush wipes either, I guess I will stop, but most of all...you are my HERO for using cloth diapers! Really you are. cute cupcakes too!
OK, You get my vote for Mom of the year. After all that you are still smiling and enjoying the party. And those cupcakes...To Die For! You have 2 very lucky girls.
Post a Comment